Samut Sakhon (สมุทรสาคร) is the capital city of the Province by this name. It is a city close to the Bangkok Metropolitan Area, Thailand.
Samut Sakhon, known by the locals as “Maha Chai”, (and also in Bangkok likewise!)is a small province located at the mouth of the Tha Chin River, only 2 kilometers from the sea and 36 kilometers from Bangkok. It is a historic city recorded in the Ayutthaya Chronicle. This was during the period that Phrachao Suea traveled by the royal barge procession creating the story of the loyal Phanthai Norasing.
This province was originally called as “Tha Chin” because it was a large district on the Gulf of Thailand, where there were a lot of foreigners, especially the Chinese -(Chin,actually pronounced Jean (จีน) in Thai) – who travelled by ship and stopped at the port –Tha (ท่า) means “port” in Thai- for trading. Therefore, it was verbally well known as Tambon “Tha Chin” (Chinese Port District). In 1548, during the reign of Phra Maha Chakkraphat, many new cities were established with the royal aims to gather power to fight against the Burmese. Ban Tha Chin (Chinese Port Town) was then upgraded to Mueang(City) “Sakhon Buri”to be an outpost city preventing the invasion of enemies arriving by sea. During the reign of King Rama IV, the city’s name was changed into Mueang Samut Sakhon.
During the reign of King Rama V, he conducted governance reform by organizing the regional bureaucratic system in the form of a circle called “Monthon Thesaphiban” and announced the establishment of Thailand’s first sanitary district in Tambon Tha Chalom in 1906.
Then, in 1913, King Rama VI announced a royal command for the government to transform the word “Mueang” (city) to “Changwat” (province) throughout the country. Mueang Samut Sakhon was changed to “Changwat Samut Sakhon” as it is still known at the present time. The word “Maha Chai” that people usually used is the name of a canal dug across the crooked Khlong Khok Kham which is the symbol of the loyalty of Phanthai Norasing.